Writing Music: Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy

11:00


While surfing through YouTube this week, on the prowl for great new music to share with you all, I stumbled upon a real gem of a song. Most people have heard Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker Suite at least once in their lives. This version, performed by the talented Pentatonix, is sung acapella, and it is, in one word, amazing.

Watching this video, I immediately thought that it felt rather like a darker fairy tale retelling. To me, this song has more than a hint of tension, not like the character is in immediate danger, but maybe like they’re searching for something, or moving through a building while their nerves are on high alert. It could just be me, or the animation from Disney’s Fantasia, but this also has a feel of snow about it.



Do you get a fairy tale feel from this video? What sort of scene or situation do you think this fits? What are you listening to this week?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Yes, I stumbled upon this a couple months ago, and let me just say, I fell in love x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a creative arrangement, isn't it? I love classical music, but I also love seeing how people adapt it to make it interesting people who aren't really big into old music. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I definitely feel the danger in this piece, and I love it! :) Thanks for introducing me! *listens again*

    ReplyDelete

/*popular post image sizing*/