Top Ten Books on My Winter Reading List

09:00



This Tuesday I’m linking up with The Broke and The Bookish’s Top Ten Tuesday meme once again. This week’s topic is the top ten books on your summer reading list. However, as it’s winter over here in Australia, I’m tweaking this subject slightly and listing the top ten books on my winter reading list instead. I’ve split this week’s list in two, listing five books that I would like to get and read, and five books I already have copies of.

Five Books I Want:
 
1. Cinder
Marissa Meyer

Image Credit

I’ve been hunting for a copy of Cinder for a few weeks, ever since I read Cress, which is the third book in the Lunar Chronicles. It’s a sci-fi retelling of Cinderella, with androids, a plague, and an emperor, all in an Asian setting, or so I’ve heard. Marissa Meyer is a brilliant writer and I’m looking forward to eventually having the chance to read this and find out what I’ve been missing out on for so long.



2. Princess of the Midnight Ball
Jessica Day George 

Image Credit

Princess of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the fairy tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses. I read one of the sequels to this book before. I love retold fairy tales, and I especially interested in series containing several fairy tales. Jessica Day George is one of my favourite authors for these kinds of books, and I’m looking forward to eventually finding and reading Princess of the Midnight Ball.
  

3. Itch Rocks
Simon Mayo

Image Credit


Itch Rocks is the sequel to a book I read last year, Itch. It continues the story of a boy calling Itchingham Lofte who finds a rare, radioactive element and risks many dangers to get rid of it. The first book was very good, and I would love to read the sequel. I especially love the main character’s name. These books make science, chemistry and the periodic table of elements very fun, and are well worth reading.




4. Love's Enduring Promise
Jeanette Oke

Image Credit

This is the second book in the Love Comes Softly series. I previously read Love Comes Softly, and have watched the video adaptations of these books. Now I’m interested to see what the rest of the books are like. I enjoy historical books, and even though I don’t generally read romances, these are the sort that even I like to read.



5. Once We Were
Kat Zhang 

Image Credit


I borrowed the first book of this series from the library a while ago and enjoyed it very much. What’s Left of Me featured in a previous Top Ten Tuesday post, and while looking for a picture of the cover I discovered that there were sequels. Sequels! Well, needless to say I was very pleased to find out about that, and now I need to raid the library and see if they have this book.


Five Books I Have:


1. Dreamtreaders
Wayne Thomas Batson

Image Credit

I won an advance readers’ copy (ARC) of this book from the author in a word war, and I was very excited to get it in the mail a few days ago. It has characters having adventures in a dream world, which I really like. And don’t you just love the cover? I’m really looking forward to reading this book.



2. Specials
Scott Westerfeld

Image Credit

This is the third book in Scott Westerfield’s Uglies trilogy. I’ve read Pretties, the second book in the series, but none of the others, so I was very pleased to find this one in the library. I’m looking forward to seeing how the story wraps up. I’ve read some of Scott Westerfeld’s other books, and I’m really enjoying this series.




3. Aram
A. K. Frailey 

Image Credit

I don’t know anything about this book other than it is part of a trilogy. It looks interesting, with slave raiders and a curse, and comes highly recommended, so I’m looking to reading it, as well as the other books in the trilogy.


 4. Frozen Footprints

Therese Heckenkamp

Image Credit


I read another book by Therese Heckenkamp before, Past Suspicion, which I enjoyed very much. I’ve been planning to read this book for a while, but haven’t yet got around to it. It involves a kidnapping, and a cabin in the snowy woods, which both sound very promising. I enjoy a good mystery.



5. The Count of Monte Cristo
Alexander Dumas

Image Credit

While I generally read more modern books, I do enjoy a good classic novel every now and again, and this one comes highly recommended by my sister, who has read it twice. While it’s a huge book, it’s apparently a really good read, so I’m looking forward to exploring the works of another classic novelist.


Have you read any of these books? What’s on your reading list this summer/winter?
 

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. Looks like you've got some amazing books just waiting to be read! I read Cinder and very much enjoyed it. I hope that you like it too and the rest of the books on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissi. I've been anticipating reading Cinder for a while, only to discover my library no longer has a copy! Looks like I'll have to save up and buy it instead.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't a big fan of What's Left of Me, but this next book looks promising! Hope you'll enjoy reading, and have a great summer =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't actually expecting to enjoy it at all, so it was a pleasant surprise, but I can understand it's not for everyone. I'm looking forward to the second one though. Thanks for stopping by Alicia!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree, the cover of Dream Traders is amazing. Looks like a fun novel too!

    Winter is great for curling up with a good book anyway, hope you manage to read all these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it is a great time for reading. There's less motivation to go out and do things. Right now all I want is coffee, a blanket, and a good book or two.

      Delete
  4. I got around to reading Cinder a couple of months ago and I didn't regret it, so I hope you'll like it, as well!
    My TTT: http://takeawalkonthewriteside.blogspot.it/2014/06/top-ten-tuesday-summer-2014-tbr-list.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure I will. Marissa Meyer is such a good writer. I need all of the Lunar Chronicles right now! I wonder what fairy tale she will retell in the fourth book?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read Princess of the Midnight Ball, as well as the rest of the series. They're all really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them even more now that you've said that. Can't wait to find them. Thanks for stopping to comment Charlie!

      Delete
  7. I've not put Itch on my TBR list! Cinder's on my TTT as well. You can check it out here https://gorgeousbooks.wordpress.com/2014/06/17/top-ten-tuesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Itch is an awesome book. I highly recommend it. Honestly, I never thought science would be that interesting in a novel before.

      Delete
  8. The cover for Dream Treaders if beautiful! I know I'm not supposed to judge a book by its cover but when I'm looking for a new read that's exactly what I do.
    I was wondering, how can you read series out of order! I can't even keep track of everything when I'm reading them one right after the other in the proper order.
    Happy winter reading!

    My Summer TBR List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I judge books by their covers too I'm afraid. First the cover and then the back, and then the book. I do love a pretty book cover. I started reading books out of order from necessity because my library never has the beginning books it seems. Sometimes I get confused, but I get pretty good at picking up the necessary information. Plus you can always tell a well written sequel if you can understand and enjoy it without reading the first book. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Great list! I need to keep reading The Uglies series too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's based on a pretty cool concept, isn't it? Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  10. Count of Monte Cristo is definitely a big huge book, but definitely worth the read! It's one of those Literature-with-a-capital-L books, but I still loved it! Happy reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it sitting on my sister's desk and it sure is huge. But I'm bound and determined to read it. There are some books like that which are really hard to get through (for me that was Les Mis and Oliver Twist) and others are so interesting the length doesn't matter (like Bleak House.) I'm definitely looking forward to giving it a go.

      Delete
  11. It's winter for me too! :) I want to read The Count of Monte Cristo, as well as the Pretties and What's Left of Me series. I'm also hoping to read the Raven Boys and the Percy Jackson series.

    There's a retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses? I must read it! I'm intrigued by this fairytale. I'm even thinking of writing a retelling myself ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen many retellings of The Twelve Dancing Princess before. I think that this is only the second one I've found so far. If you're interested, another retelling of it is Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier, which I highly recommend. She's got a beautiful writing style. And you should definitely have a go at it. I'm attempting to rewrite a few fairy tales myself, but that's not one I've planned to try any time soon.

      Delete
  12. Hi Imogen.

    I haven't read any of these books, nor have I heard of them before. I feel like my knowledge of books is seriously lacking!

    This winter, I've got two books lined up so far: Imogen's Choice by Paula Vince (heh, the main character shares your name!) and The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I'm hoping I'll enjoy both of them, although I suspect I may cry during them both as well.

    Helena

    P.S. I've nominated you for The Sunshine Award:
    http://livingacrosstheriver.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am disposed to like the book Imogen's Choice already. The main character has an excellent name! I haven't read the Fault in Our Stars. You'll have to tell me what it's like. Better stock up on tissues! Thanks for the nomination. I'm very honoured you chose to tag me.

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/