Top Ten Books of 2014 (So Far)

09:00



Once again I’m linking up with The Broke and the Bookish’s Top Ten Tuesday. This week’s list is of the top ten books I’ve read so far this year. Now we’re halfway through the year, this is a great time to look back and appreciate the books I’ve read in the first six months, before anticipating the good books I am sure to read in next six. So without further ado, here are ten books I read and loved this year.


1. Cress
Marissa Meyer  

Image Credit

This book has been in several of my Top Ten Tuesday posts, with very good reason. This sci-fi retelling of Rapunzel is a fantastic read. I love all the characters, especially Cress. They’re all so distinct and lovable. One of the best things about this book is that, even though I haven’t yet read either of the first two books, I still understood what was happening perfectly, without the backstory being overpowering. I think this is a sign of a well written sequel.





2. The Screaming Staircase
Jonathon Stroud

Image Credit
 
Jonathon Stroud is one author whose books I pick up on the strength of his name alone. This book features a group of not very successful ghost hunters who go up against the largest ghostly threat they’ve ever faced. One of the best things about Stroud’s writing is the imaginatively humorous descriptions, which have made me laugh out loud more than once, and wish that I could describe half as well as he can.





3. The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater

Image Credit

I mentioned this book in last week’s Top Ten Tuesday post as one book I looked forward to reading. Now I look forward to rereading it. This book is just as good as its sequel, The Dream Thieves, which I read first. It’s full of magic, loyal friends, unexpected surprises and a fantastic cast with distinct personalities. I can’t wait for the third book in this series to come out so I can find out the conclusion to the Raven Boys’ adventures.




4. Unhinged
A. G. Howard 

Image Credit

This is another book I mentioned wanting to read last week, and it too immediately went on my top ten list. While it had a little too much romance for my taste (I very rarely read any romance), the reimagining of the Alice in Wonderland story is incredibly vivid and the whole book is littered with references to the original book, which are fun to identify. I wish the main character had actually gone to Wonderland properly, but I guess I’ll have to read the first book Splintered to see what it’s really like.




5. Monster Blood Tattoo: Foundling
D. M. Cornish 

Image Credit

I borrowed this book on a whim without knowing anything about it as it had no description on the back or inside the cover. Surprisingly, I really enjoyed it. The world this book is set in reminds me very much of Victorian England mixed with a fantasy world. From the main character, a boy with a girl’s name, to the world building, and of course, the monsters, this book was a pleasant surprise. I can’t wait to read the second one.



6. Embassy
S. Alex Martin

Image Credit


This book is a very special one for me, because I actually know the author, and I had the great honour of helping critique the first chapter. This is another sci-fi, and the world building in this book blows me away. It’s set mainly on two planets, as well as in space, and the planets are brought to life with amazingly vivid descriptions. I read this book at the very beginning of the year, but it’s still one of my favourite reads of this year.



7. Pretties
Scott Westerfield 

Image Credit

I heard a lot about this series, but took a while to read it, despite the glowing recommendations it had. I’m very glad now I did try it. Being me, I started with book two, and will soon read book three before I even touch book one (libraries…). What really hooked me in this book is the whole set up of the world, people being made pretty and having ‘perfect’ lives of fun and parties, which are really being controlled, and characters trying to break free from this life. Definitely one of the best series I’ve started reading this year.



8. Princess of the Silver Woods
Jessica Day George

Image Credit

Fairy tale retellings are some of my favourite books, and this is probably the best one I’ve read this year. It’s a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, which isn’t a retelling I’d read before. The story was really creatively imagined and the wolf and grandmother certainly weren’t what I expected. I loved the main family. They’re all so loyal, and brave, and ever so slightly crazy to boot. I can’t wait to find the other books in this series and see if they’re just as good.




9. What’s Left of Me
Kat Zhang 

Image Credit

I wasn’t sure what to expect with this book, but it’s a firm favourite now. In this book, everyone is born with two individual minds inside their heads, but only one of them ends up in control of the body. This is a very unique idea and that hooked me into the book initially, and the rest of the story kept me there. I learnt, while hunting for a picture of the cover, that there are another two books in this series, so it looks like I more books to track down and read.



10. Artemis Fowl and the Eternity Code
Eoin Colfer 

Image Credit

I am a big Artemis Fowl fan, and have read all the book about him. I read this one early this year, and loved jumping back into the world of Artemis Fowl. It combines fantasy, with fairies and centaurs, with sci-fi, and a boy genius who is also a criminal. Put Artemis Fowl and fairies together and you get an explosive mix that might be just the right thing to save the world.

What is the best book you’ve read this year? Have you read any of the books on my list this week?

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I really want to read The Raven Boys - I loved the Shiver books when they came out (I'm not sure I would love them if I read them for the first time now), but I've heard great things about The Raven Boys.
    Great list - thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the Shiver books just before I read The Raven Boys, and, in my opinion, The Raven Boys is way better. If you like her writing, then I think you'll definitely enjoy this book. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Awesome picks! Dream Thieves actually made my list this week! =)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good book, isn't it? I'm a big Maggie Stiefvater fan now. Thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  3. Cress & Raven Boys & Unhinged... YESSSS. I love those books so much. I really need to read Westerfeld's Uglies series - I loved the Leviathan series, but just haven't gotten to Uglies yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such awesome books. I resisted reading them for so long, and now I feel a bit of a fool for not giving in sooner. Ooh, the Leviathan series is a good one. I read those a while ago, and I really enjoyed them. Hopefully you'll enjoy the Uglies series when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  4. Cress is such an amazing book, so much fun to read! It's definitely my favourite of the series so far! Great list a few books I need to read asap!

    New follower!
    Becca @ Lost in Thought
    http://lostinthought-becca.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/top-ten-books-ive-read-so-far-this-year.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog Becca! You made my day. Cress is such an amazing book. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and finding out if they're just as good. I'm glad I could recommend some books for you. I've got some great recommendations from your top ten list too. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Oooh, I like those updated covers to the Uglies series much better than the originals. It just seems to fit the story better, in my opinion anyway. Glad you're enjoying that series. I'm intrigued by The Screaming Staircase. I haven't heard of that one before, but the premise intrigues me... plus, seeing as it made your top ten list, it must be pretty entertaining! I better check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very interesting when I'm looking for the covers for these posts and seeing different versions to the ones I've seen before. You should definitely check The Screaming Staircase out. I don't read a lot of ghost stories, but this one was ever so good. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Well you know how in love I am with The Raven Boys and Unhinged. OMG Those books just keep getting better and better!! XD I think I downloaded Embassy for free somewhere. Mm...maybe I should dig it up one of these days. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know how much you love them. You're the person who convinced me to read them in the first place! And now I think I could almost rival you in how much I like them (phhft, who am I kidding. You are the ultimate book fan!)

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/