Top Ten Books in My (Imaginary) Beach Bag

09:00

Today I’m linking up with The Broke and the Bookish’s Top Ten Tuesday again. This week’s subject is ten books that would be in my beach bag this summer. The only problem is that here in Australia it’s winter, so it’s a little cold to be sitting on the beach reading. Instead, I’ll curl up in front of the heater, wrapped in my furry blanket, and pretend I’m reading on the sand with the seagulls around me. Today’s list is split in half, containing five books I’d like to read, and five books I’d like to reread.


Five Books I Want to Read


1. Cinder
Marissa Meyer 

Image Credit

I’ve mentioned this book several times in my recent posts, but this is one book I would definitely have in my beach bag. A sci-fi retelling of Cinderella? Yes please! I read Cress, the third book in the series, not long ago, but so far I haven’t yet found a copy of this one. It’s definitely high on my to-read list, especially after it’s been recommended to me by several people.



2. The Book Thief
Markus Zusak 

Image Credit

I started reading this book a while ago, but I have to confess I didn’t finish it. It seems a very interesting book, set at the beginning of the Second World War and narrated by a very unusual character, Death. He always has some interesting comment to make about the events in the story, from what I’ve seen, and his insights keep the book from becoming too dark. I’ve never read a story where the narrator doesn’t actually interact with most of the events, so I’m looking forward to reading the rest of this book and finding out what happens next.


3. The Raven Boys
Maggie Stiefvater 

Image Credit

This is a book I’ve been hunting for in the library for a while. I read the sequel The Dream Thieves a while ago, and I’ve been dying to read this one ever since. The main girl character has a unique name, Blue, and the boys are so much fun to read. They all have such distinct personalities. I finally managed to borrow it from the library, and I’m so looking forward to finding out where the story started. Hopefully The Dream Thieves will make a little more sense once I’ve read this book.


4. Frozen Footprints
Therese Heckenkamn

Image Credit

I've read another book by this author before, Past Suspicion, which I really enjoyed. My mum bought this book for me a while ago, and I’m looking forward to getting around to reading it at last. I don’t know much about it, but if it’s anything like Past Suspicion, then it’s sure to be good. Also, isn’t the cover gorgeous?


5. Unhinged
A. G.  Howard 

Image Credit


This book was highly recommended to me by my friend Cait, so I’ve been looking forward to reading very much indeed. Unhinged is the second book in a trilogy that retells the Alice in Wonderland story in a very unique way. Technically Splintered should be in this spot on the list, as it’s the first book in the series and I haven’t yet read that one. But I could only find Unhinged in the library, so this is the book I’m sliding into my imaginary beach bag this week.


Five Books I Want to Reread


1. Love Comes Softly
Janette Oke

Image Credit

This book is a bit different for me. It’s a romance set in the days of covered wagons in America. I don’t normally read romances, but this one was good enough to hook me and get me interested in American historical novels. I really enjoyed it, and was most delighted when I found that there were movie adaptations of this book as well as the others in the series. I definitely want to reread this one.


2. I Capture the Castle
Dodie Smith

Image Credit

It’s been a while since I read this book, so I’ve forgotten many of the details, but I do remember absolutely loving the characters and laughing at many of the descriptions. The narrator has such a strong voice that I feel like she’s really talking to me. It’s sitting up on my bookshelf just begging to be reread, so I shall have to dust it off and familiarise myself with the story again.


3. The Woman in White
Wilke Collins 

Image Credit

Wilke Collins is a master of the period mystery novel, and I’ve loved every single one of his books I’ve read. It’s been a while since I read The Woman in White, but recently I’ve got this urge to go back and revisit this story. It’s my second favourite of his books, coming in second to The Moonstone. It’s been so long since I read this one though, that I think I need to refresh my memory of its mystery and masterful writing.


4. Pride and Prejudice
Jane Austen 

Image Credit

As a dedicated Jane Austen fan, I am slightly embarrassed to admit that I’ve only read this book a couple of times and I haven’t read recently at all. In fact, I am currently more acquainted with the movies than I am with the book. Of course this will never do, and I am resolved to read this book again as soon as I can. Regency England is one of my favourite time periods, and Jane Austen brings it alive so well with her witty characters and elegant writing. Plus there are a hordes of quotable lines, and I do love a good quote.


5. North Child
Edith Pattou 

Image Credit

North Child is a retelling of the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon. I’ve been reading quite a few rewritten fairy tales recently, and remembered reading this one a while ago. So I borrowed it from the library, and am now anticipating dipping into world of ice, snow and enchanted polar bears. I do love a good fairy tale and always appreciate a happy ending.

So there you have it, my top ten books that would be in my beach bag if it were summer. Have you read any of these books? If you were going to the beach, what books would you take with you? Any recommendations for other good books?

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. The Love Comes Softly series (books and movies!) holds a special place in my heart. I always love to see someone else enjoying them:)
    I really want to read some of Maggie Stiefvater's books, because everyone I talk to seems to love them.

    As for my beach bag, I'd love to have some of Stephanie Perkins' books. Her romances are so light and fun; they're perfect for summer.

    What a fun post to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love 'Love Comes Softly' and I really want to read the other books in the series, especially after watching the movies. I've never found anyone else who has read them, so I'm so glad to hear you love them too. I've heard Stephanie Perkins books are very good. I've never read any, romance not being my preferred genre, but maybe I should try something different. Who knows, they might make good winter reading too?

      Delete
  2. Wow! Yet more books for me to read.
    I must admit I haven't read Pride and Prejudice in a long time either. Time to pull it out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is such a good book I have no idea why I don't read it more often. I have a beautiful copy of my own (a rare thing for me) sitting in my room, just waiting for me to jump back into the witty writing. Sometimes I wish I lived in Regency England just so I could be like Jane Austen's characters! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Nice picks. I recently read Cinder and really enjoyed it, definitely recommend that one. I really want to read I Capture the Castle, I've heard so many amazing things about that book. I hope you get to them all, mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Capture the Castle is definitely a book I would recommend reading. The family is a bit strange, but so funny and just perfect for this book. I have a soft spot in my heart for weird families in books. It's been far too long since I read that one. The first time I read it was in summer actually, so I always associate it with warm weather. I can't wait to get onto Cinder. Reading Cress made me realise just what I was missing out on.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic list! I just watched The Book Thief and was a hot mess. I loved the book, but prepare to be sad. Very sad. And, I downloaded I Capture the Castle but haven't started it yet. I also liked the movie version. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that The Book Thief movie and book were both excellent, so I've been meaning to get around to reading it for a while. I've read the first few chapters, and they were great. I'll have to have the tissues ready for the rest of it though I see. There is a movie version of I Capture The Castle? I must find it and watch it! The book was good, so I'm sure the movie will be too.

      Delete
  5. Awesome picks! I've heard really great things about the Raven Boys though I have yet to read it. I will hopefully be able to over the summer!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally just finished reading The Raven Boys last night and it deserves every bit of praise it's been given. That book is just perfect. I'm looking forward to reading The Dream Thieves, the second book in the series, for the second time. I hope you enjoy it when you read it.

      Delete
  6. I've only read one book on your list, woman in white, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll have to add some of these to my kindle. Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Woman in White, and all of Wilke Collins' books really. if you're looking for another great book of his to read, I'd highly recommend The Law and Lady. I've read that one several times, and it never fails to impress me. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. I don't know how you decided on only 5 books that you want to read! My list would go on and on. I've wanted to read a few of those books, too. I should...
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I just went with the five that I wanted to read the most, or had been waiting the longest to read. Which is sometimes the same thing really. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Charlie!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. You definitely should. I just finished reading it, and I'm a Raven Boys fan now. It's brilliant. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I see a lot of books I agree with. Cinder is one of the best retellings. It's so creative and fun! The book thief is still one of my favorite books :) It's beautiful and heart-breaking. I finished The Raven Boys around two months ago and right after it, I had to devour The dream thieves. Very colorful characters. I read Splintered and definitely need to read Unhinged. Happy reading :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read Unhinged. I finished it a couple of days ago and I so need Splintered right about now. I love the creative twist on the fairy tale in Cress, which is the only one of the Lunar Chronicles I've read, so I desperately want the first two books. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I saw Pride and Prejudice on here and was afraid for a moment that you were going to say you'd never read it! Enjoy your re-read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could hold my head up as an Austen fan if I hadn't. Looking forward to revisiting it. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/