In Which Imogen Shares Her NaNoWriMo Goals

18:05


I think by now, everyone is aware that NaNoWriMo has started. Writers scurry away into their little caves, armed with tea, clubs, and caffeine patches, sweating out their daily word counts. I myself am no different. In the Dragon Cave, it’s anchors away on the first draft of Blood Debt. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to write 50k words of a novel in 30 days, but I’m a bit of a challenge addict and have decided it’s time to up the ante and give myself a couple more goals. So, in the interested of fun (stress?) here are three extra goals I’ve come up with for myself.

1) Write in ten different locations. As a writer, I tend to get stuck in a rut in terms of my routine. Some days, when the words aren’t coming, it’s best to shake things up, try a new spot, get out of the house even. So this NaNoWriMo, I aim to find ten different places to do my novelling in.

2) Achieve three 10k days. 10k days are like magic. The words pouring onto the page in a mesmerising pattern that eventually makes sense is almost hypnotising. Or that could be the copious amounts of coffee you consume to get you through. Either way, if one 10k day is good, then three is three times better, right?

3) Write two novels. Crazy goal I know. But when the plot bunnies bite, you can but follow their lead. I have two fleshed out novel ideas, and both beg to be written this month. So, time allowing, I will at least try to start the second idea also. (Count yourselves lucky. A third idea went hopping by the other day. I closed the door, shut my eyes and waited for it to leave.)

And there you have it. Imogen’s recipe for a high stress, panic inducing month of sleeplessness, word overload, and absolute awesome. How many of these goals will I actually hit? I have no idea, but, as they say, aim high and you might hit the top of the tree. I’m throwing myself into this NaNo good and proper this year. And, to keep myself on track with my goals, and to share a bit of the process with you guys, I’ll be posting a NaNo update every Wednesday this month, sharing word count progress, goal progress, and maybe even a few quotes (does that sound enticing?). I hope you’ll drop by with a few encouraging words!


What are you writing at the moment? Are you taking part in NaNoWriMo? What are your goals for this month? Do you think I’m just a wee bit crazy for trying to do this many extra things? How badly do we predict I’m going to fail? (hint: I’d vote for catastrophic failure myself!)

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Wow, Imogen, TWO novels? Girl, that's a lot. I wish you all the best in that endeavor! I also like that you plan to write in different places; that's a good way to feed your imagination and to get you outside the box. I wish you happy writing ALL November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knooooow. I may be regretting this goal already. Nevertheless, onwards! My goal to write in a bunch of different places is actually one I've been trying to implement in my general writing for a while and failing at. I get very stuck in a rut, and going to another place to write is often so helpful for getting my brain unstuck. Definitely a good tactic for NaNo! Thanks for stopping to share in my goals Heather.

      Delete
  2. Wow two novels? That's awesome. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abi! I don't know how well this goal will go, but this this point, at the end of the first week, I'm fairly hopeful.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, these are such cool goals! AND GO YOU FOR WRITING 2 NOVELS. I kind of am considering it. Like only kind of because I also have a secret goal of writing my 50K in 5 days. Which means 10K days each day which is...intense. 0_0 *collapses screaming* And once I'm done that I probably won't feel like writing anymore. :P Plus I need to keep my blog alive and I can't ever seem to multitask. hehe. BUT YEAH.
    I think the writing in different locations is very brave!! I can't seem to even focus if I'm not on my bed. Or on the floor. When I sit on the floor I can type a few sentences and then throw my dog's ball. HEH. He's not happy with NaNo. -_-

    Best of luck with your goals!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on absolutely smashing your goals! A 4 day NaNo is a mighty thing indeed. I knew you could make it easily though. You're just that fabulous. Enjoy your break now that you're finished. I'll be thinking of you when I'm curled up in the corner crying at the ridiculousness of these goals.

      Delete
  4. Wow those are some big goals! I don't think I'm ready for those myself. For NaNo this year I'm trying to get ahead by a lot because of Thanksgiving and I'm going out of town later in the month. At this rate I'll win early, but I also may go over the 50K word count so I'm going to push through writing until the book is drafted. ^ ^ I've already reached 10K and I'm so excited. :D Word warring with a friend has worked wonders.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your book! I'm sure you'll get it finished in time. Word wars are definitely an amazing tool for getting the word count up. Almost all my book has been written during word wars so far!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/