Of Editing And Expectations

19:00

Photo credit: lewishamdreamer via Foter.com / CC BY-NC

As I mentioned in my post last week, I’m currently editing my YA superhero novel, Snow. I’ve almost finished the initial read through (which has been taking way, way longer than it should) and so far it’s been a very mixed experience. In many ways, I’m actually quite happy with how the last draft turned out. The overall plot is pretty solid, and I can see where the subplots, character arcs, and the like are going. However, as far as reading experience goes, well, even I don’t want to read my own book. I feel bad about this, because I feel like I should be enjoying myself more, easing my way back into writing with an easy round of reading and note taking.

I think the reason I’m finding it so hard to enjoy editing at the moment is because my expectations are too high. My major writing project last year was Song Of The Crystal Tree, and while I haven’t done a real polishing draft on it yet, after seven drafts, it’s looking much better than its first draft. In contrast, Snow is still only a raw second draft. I’m jumping back a long way in the writing process, and it’s a bit of a shock.

I also have high expectations for this book because it, and the rest of the planned series, are near to my heart. I love the characters and the stories I have planned out for them, and I have such a clear vision for Snow in particular. Which is great because I have a goal, but it also means that I get easily frustrated with the current slow progress. Snow is so far away from that glorious finished version that my high expectations for the finished product are more of a hindrance than a help really.

However, despite my many complaints, I am making good progress. I have about six chapters left before I can get into planning the edit, and while there are definitely loads of things to fix, I’ve already got a pretty good idea of what I need to do. And, apart from the terrible quality of the text, there are several good things in this draft, like an overall plot that makes some sort of sense now, and several scenes that I did enjoy reading and want to expand on in the future. So, despite many wails about how horrible the book is, there’s hope for it yet.


To tell the truth, I can’t wait to get into actually editing the book. The editing process isn’t my absolute favourite part of the process (though it’s certainly the most important), but I do love seeing the book transform into a slightly better version of itself every time I go through it. And I’m really looking forward to getting it to the point where even I can read it without cringing every two sentences. Until then, it’s back to the grindstone. I will edit this book, or die trying.

Where are you at with your book? Do you struggle when going between early drafts and more polished projects? What is your pet project?

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Gah, I hate reading my rough drafts. They don't even sound like my writing style, and they're just so awful, I would die if someone read them. Or, you know, I'd have to kill the person who read them. That's one of the main reasons why I do a major overhaul the very first round and then do tweaking later. I really enjoy editing, but I can't stand reading an unpolished draft over and over, so I like to cut down on the multiple drafts and just get a bunch done at once. Then I can relax a little while I'm reading it though the next time, because it doesn't sound anywhere near as horrible as it did before. *nods* But I admire you for being able to stick to it through all the drafts, even though we writers don't always get enjoyment from our own work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, those first drafts are so horrible, aren't they? I usually end up rewriting my initial draft completely, at least once, because while the idea's there, nothing else is. Reading the rough stuff never gets easier. I'm actually trying to take a leaf out of your book at the moment and try to get a lot more done while editing this draft so that it's nowhere near as hard to read through next time. But you're right, it's pretty awful reading those first drafts. I'm so glad to hear it's not just me though!

      Delete
  2. I have a pet project (a fantasy novel) that I've been working on for more than ten years and, though current novel has very little to do with the original one and has gone through countless drafts and revisions, I still keep struggling with it. I can't read a single page without making some corrections or changes and now, after two years of rejections, I'm thinking of changing the POV and rewrite the whole thing once again. I love rereading and editing my stories (and I tend to do it A LOT) but sometimes I just want to say "Done!" and know in my heart of hearts that it's the final version (is there even such a thing?) and see the actual proof in the hard copy of my book))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Editing is such a never ending cycle, isn't it? It's hard to know when to step back and say 'yes, this is finished. I don't need to make any more changes'. I don't suppose it's made any easier when people keep rejecting your book. Hang in there though! If you feel like rewriting the book, do it, but don't lose heart. You'll find the right place for your book eventually.

      Delete
  3. Editing is the worst because you know what it *should* look like, but it's a different story trying to get that onto paper. *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knoooow. Why is there not a device that will take the picture from our heads and translate it onto the page yet?

      Delete
  4. I'm with you right now. I'm slogging through editing at the moment and trying to find my momentum. XD I need to get this edited before I got out of town in three weeks and it's been really slow going. I do have a bit of trouble switching from editing and first draft mode and even rewrite mode. Each requires a different mindset. Best wishes with editing! You can do it!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It requires a completely different mindset, doesn't it? I find it so much easier to drop into my purely imaginative side of my brain. Getting the analytical, critical side switched on is tough for me sometimes. Good luck with your editing too. We can get through this!

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/