Writing Music: Besaid Island

19:00

Video games, like movies, often have amazing soundtracks. Recently, I’ve been exploring the soundtracks of several games recommended to me by my writing friends, and the lovely people over on Twitter. And I unearthed a treasure-trove of amazing writing music. What’s great about video game music over many other kinds, is that they’re actually designed to be listened to on an endless loop without becoming boring or repetitive. The pieces are made to be atmospheric, while also fading into the background, allowing you to focus on what’s really important: the game. Or in our case, our books.

One piece that I particularly fell in love with, was Besaid Island from the soundtrack to Final Fantasy X. I’ve had it playing on nearly endless repeat for the last two weeks while I’ve been editing, blogging, reading, surfing the internet, or eating, and I still haven’t got tired of it yet. It’s a gentle, positive piece with a definite fantasy feel to it. It’s great for playing in the background if you want some non-distracting music during a less tension-filled part of your book. It would also suit a happy scene, a scene with a positive revelation, or a peaceful, reflective scene. While Besaid Island suits fantasy books in particular, it would also do well as a writing music for most other genres too.



What music are you listening to at the moment? Do you ever listen to video game music while writing? If so, which games? And tell me, do you ever listen to a song on endless repeat for weeks at a time?

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I don't listen to a lot of game soundtracks, but I agree there are some good ones out there. and this is a nice piece of music. It flows in the background nicely. I can see where it would be good for writing or whatever.

    I've never played Final Fantasy but this one at least has nice music, judging from this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never really listened to many game soundtracks before either, but people have been recommending that I try them, and I've really been pleasantly surprised. I think it makes such great writing music because it's been specifically designed to create an atmosphere or mood while fading into the background. Thanks for stopping by, Greg.

      Delete
  2. I've never played Final Fantasy, but it does seem that this track would be great writing music! Currently I'm writing to Rey's theme from The Force Awakens, and I ADORE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really pretty piece! I've heard some of the Final Fantasy soundtrack and it is really beautiful. ^ ^ I'm dying to play these games some day. XD

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some truly gorgeous pieces from the Final Fantasy Soundtrack. I've never seen the game, but I've always wanted to give them a go too! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

/*popular post image sizing*/