Top Ten Tuesday: Resolutions I Have For 2016

18:41


The beginning of a new year brings a fresh start, and most people, me included, start taking a close look at what worked in the previous year, as well as what didn’t, and make resolutions to achieve specific things in the upcoming year. This week, in the spirit of the new year, I’m participating in the Top Ten Tuesday link up, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, which is all about our resolutions for the new year. So, here are ten of my writing/book related goals for 2016.

1. Send Song Of The Crystal Tree to Beta Readers

I’ve been working on this book for over three years now, and I still haven’t managed to get this book to the stage where it’s ready to go out to beta readers yet. It is getting there, just very, very slowly. This year, I’m resolving to edit it to the point where I’m ready to have other eyes than mine look it over and give feedback.

2. Edit a Book During Camp NaNoWriMo

The ability to edit during Camp NaNo rather than drafting something new, is a relatively recent addition to the event, but it’s not one that I’ve taken advantage of so far. But I’m at the point with my writing where I have so many books waiting to be edited that I really don’t need to draft yet another new one, despite the fact that I always have dozens of ideas for books hanging round. So instead, I’m setting myself the challenge of editing for a month instead of writing something new.

3. Write Book 4 in My Retelling/Superhero Series

It may be a highly impractical goal, seeing as I haven’t yet edited the first three books aren’t edited yet, but I would like to write the 4th book in the series anyway. I’m pretty passionate about this series, and I’d like to keep writing them, even just for myself. I’m excited to see where the overall story is going, and I have so many ideas for it that I really just want to write the next book already.

4. Read More Books

I’m not setting a specific number of books for myself to read this year yet, mostly because my reading habits are terrible. I used to read an awful lot, right up until the second half of last year really, and then everything got busy and reading went out the window. So I really want to try and get back into better reading habits and make time to explore more books this year.

5. Create a Better Blogging Schedule

If you’re a regular reader of this blog, then you probably noticed that things have been all over the place for a while now, with patchy uploads, mixed content, and general confusion. One of the big things I’m trying to do is to create a better blogging schedule that will allow for forwards planning, variety of content, and regular posting. A win-win for everyone! (You can help me with this by taking my survey here.)

6. Comment on Blogs More

I read almost all the blog posts on the blogs I follow, and often start my day with a mass blog reading session. But you’d never tell that, because most of the time I don’t end up leaving a comment, even if I loved the post and promised myself I was going to leave a comment later on. Actually remembering to comment is one blogging thing I mean to greatly improve on in the coming year.

7. Spend Less Time Procrastinating On YouTube

I love YouTube. All the music, the funny videos, and movies trailers. Glorious. I can spent literally hours lost in a maze of videos. Which is great, until I realise six hours later that I really should have been writing and editing and doing useful things with my life. This year, I’d like to move YouTube watching around so that I don’t give up my fun time, but also make sure that I actually get some other things done as well.

8. Worry Less About Being like Other Bloggers

Sometimes, I have to admit, I get envious of other bloggers. They have fantastically regular content, a really strong, unique blogging voice, and awesome content. And honestly, sometimes I want to be just like them. This year, I’m resolving to work on the identity of my own blog and concentrate on finding my own voice, rather than wasting time and energy trying to be someone I’m not.

9. Be Proud Of My Creative Achievements

Creative achievements are very personal. I know, for me, it’s hard to share my writing because it’s so personal to me that I worry about what people are going to think, rather than being proud of the things that I have achieved. And being a creative person is hard enough as it is, without more self-doubt being lumped on top. So this year, I want to make a conscious effort to stop and actually be proud of what I’ve done.

10. Be A Writer

This year, I resolve to be a writer, connecting with other writers, sitting my bottom in a chair with my fingers on the keys, even when I don’t feel like it, putting words on the page and bringing worlds to life. I resolve to finish things, and to be proud of my profession, no matter what. I’m a writer. And I’m going to act like one. 

These are some of my goals for the coming year. What resolutions have you made? Are any of your goals the same as mine? Are you participating in Top Ten Tuesday this week? Leave me a link to your post in the comments and I’ll visit you!

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Your goals speak to my soul, Imogen :) Especially spending less time on Youtube and more time writing. Also, commenting on blogs. I do the same thing - I ALWAYS tell myself I'll comment later/tomorrow, and just don't actually do it :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YouTube is such a delightful time drain, isn't it? I know I'll never be able to cut it out of my day completely, but if it could just shift around so other important things could get a look in? That would be lovely.

      Well, I always enjoy seeing your name pop up in my comments occasionally. Thank you for stopping by Stefanie!

      Delete
  2. All excellent goals. Some of those are really big undertakings. I wish you the best of luck with your writing, editing, blogging, and reading. Happy 2016!
    -Smart Dames Clever Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, some of these goals are making me quail a little just looking at them. The key, I think, will be to come up with a good game plan before attempting them. But isn't that just the way with all successful New Year's resolutions? Happy 2016 to you too! And good luck with all your goals this year.

      Delete
  3. Worrying less about being like other bloggers is definitely something I should do, too. I know that I look at my followers all the time, not to mention comment count and the content I produce and just think, "Wow, I am not doing a very good job." But, you know, there's also some value in just doing what I do anyway.

    Also, being a writer. XD Maybe we ought to work on that one together. But... yeahhhhh. All of these are sort of like the world going "You too, Heather."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with this sentiment. It's really hard sometimes, to be content with what you're doing when other people seem to have it all figured out and be super successful because of it. I know quite a few blogs that I would like to be more like. But definitely, there is value in doing what you do, because no one else can do it like you can. Certainly, for you in particular, you have an amazingly analytical brain that works out all the details and can break down characters and concepts in a way I never could, but that is super interesting to read. You keep doing you, because you are doing amazing things.

      Delete
  4. Thank you. Good luck with all your goals for this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it!! :)

    I admire these goals. I've kind of pushed writing to the side for now. With school and everything going on, I've really only had time for reading and blogging, and that's good enough for me :) Good luck with all your editing and writing! Hope you reach all your goals! I know what you mean about procrastinating on Youtube... :P

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes writing has to make way for other things, and that's perfectly fine. You'll be able to pick it up again later when you have more time for it. Thank you! And good luck with all your goals this year too.

    ReplyDelete

/*popular post image sizing*/