Top Ten Favourite Movies

09:00


While writing is one of the best ways to share a story, movies also tell a compelling tale, and, as a writer, I've found I can learn a lot from watching films. This week’s Top Ten Tuesday subject is my top ten favourite movies. This was a very difficult list to make, because I have so many favourite movies and narrowing my options down to ten took a while. I watch a large variety of movies, from animated films, to superhero blockbusters and period drama mini-series.  Here are ten of my favourite movies, excluding whole series and, sadly, mini-series.


1. Beauty and the Beast 

Image Credit

This is my absolute favourite movie, the only one I can watch three days in a row without getting bored of. It’s got everything I love most; a fairy tale plot line, songs that make you want to sing along with, a hilarious cast, and a loveable beast who often acts more like a child than a terrifying beast. I love everything about this film.


2. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Image Credit
The best thing about this movie, apart from the fact that it’s about pirates has to be Captain Jack Sparrows. He’s crazy, clever, unlucky, and definitely one of the best main characters I’ve seen in a movie. I like all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, but The Curse of the Black Pearl is one of my favourites out of all of them.


3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Image Credit

The Hobbit: And Unexpected Journey is one of my favourites of The Lord of the Ring trilogies. It’s more light-hearted than the other movies, which makes it so much easier to sit down and watch casually. Bilbo Baggins makes a great main character, and the supporting cast of dwarves are surprisingly distinct considering the number of them (I still can’t remember all their names though.)
 

4. Megamind

Image Credit

This movie is one big cliché turned on its head. It has the cliché invincible superhero, the villain gone bad when the world was against him, a devoted minion and a romantic interest who gets kidnapped all the time. And all this stuff is completely turned upside down and turned into an amazing movie just by making the bad guy the hero. It’s also got heaps of quotable lines, which I love.


5.Tangled

Image Credit

Disney has always made amazing videos out of fairy tales, and this is one of my favourites. The characters all have amazing personalities, the animal characters are just as good as the human ones, the music is, of course, fantastic, and the actual adaptation from Rapunzel to Tangled is pretty much perfect. Plus there are frying pans.



6. Les Miserables

Image Credit


I wasn’t sure at first whether I was going to like this movie. I tried reading the book and put down in the space of a few chapters. But, having the story set to music, and cutting out all the chapters of history really brings this story to life. I love all the songs, the drama of the historical time period, and especially the amazing characters.


7. Love Comes Softly

Image Credit

This is a slightly older movie and an adaptation of a book. I read the book a while ago, and really enjoyed that, and I was very pleased to find that there was also a movie. While it deviates from the novel in several places, it doesn’t ruin the story at all. I really like the historical setting and the problems that arise from that. It’s a really sweet story.



8. The Avengers

Image Credit


I am a big fan of superhero books and movies, and The Avengers is the ultimate superhero movie. It has not one, but several big name heroes, a massive global threat, a truly amazing villain, and answers the question of what would happen if you had to get several big heroes to work together. The answer is chaos, mayhem, and an epic battle scene or two.



9. Hercules

Image Credit

It took me a long time to actually get around to seeing this movie, watching it for the first time this year. And now I regret that I didn’t see it years ago. There are so many awesome things in it, like the female lead Megara, Hades’ flaming hair, Pegasus, and the muses who turn up every now and again to explain ancient history or to join Hercules’ fan club.


10. Thor

Image Credit

I’ve watched a lot of awesome superhero movies, and Thor is one of my favourites. Thor himself is so awkward when he first comes to Earth, and watching him make mistakes is very funny. Loki is one of the best villains I’ve ever seen. And Asgard and the Rainbow Bridge are all stunningly beautiful. All round, it makes for an amazing film. 


What is your favourite film? What genre do you prefer to watch? Have you got any good movies to recommend? Watched any of these movies? What have you learnt writing-wise from watching movies?



You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Tangled is probably my favorite Disney movie! And love pretty much every Marvel movie though I'd have to say Thor and the Avengers are my favorites, also Captain America 2. =)
    Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely torn between whether I liked Tangled or Frozen better, until I watched Tangled again the other day and I remembered just how much I love that movie. Marvel movies are so cool, aren't they? Disney and Marvel are two of my favourite types of movies, definitely. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Ah I really want to see Les Miserables. I love all those actors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really cool, and way better than I originally expected it to be. I wasn't quite sure whether I would like it, but it was really good. I really hope you enjoy it when you get the chance to watch it.

      Delete
  3. A lot of animation here - I love Beauty and the Beast too :) Still haven't seen Tangled, but I've been meaning to watch it for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, probably a bit too much animation. I'm such a child at heart really. I swear I watch more grown up things too. Yay for Beauty and the Beast! It is honestly my more favourite movie ever, and I always love to find out other people love it too.

      Delete
  4. Tangled is one of my go-to cheer up films! I always cry when she sees the lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love that scene! I was so excited when I browsing Pinterest the other day and saw a real life photo of a lantern event just like that, even with a lake and everything. Apparently it's a custom in some country, but I can't for the life of me remember the country and now I feel bad for that. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. *hi fives for The Avengers* I wanted to put Megamind on my list (seriously, I struggled with just 10 this week >_<) but I went with Despicable Me because there's TWO and that means the awesome is doubled. XD But Tangled! Oh Tangled! I went to see that for my birthday when it first came out and I freaked because I didn't realise it was going to be a musical-type-of-thing. I loved it. It converted me to Disney-singing-movies forever and ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good reason for picking Despicable Me over Megamind. Plus the minion count is multiplied by a lot more than just six. Oh Tangled! I wasn't sure about it when I first heard about it. I mean, after The Princess and the Frog (which I didn't enjoy very much but I know other people did) I wasn't really sure whether they were going to be able to make a princess movie that could come close to Beauty and the Beast in awesomeness. And then they just blew me away. Good ol' Disney.

      Delete
  6. I noticed that Frozen wasn't on your list, not buying into its rapid popularity then? My list would probably go something like this:
    1. How to Train your Dragon
    2. The Lord of the Rings
    3. Sherlock BBC (I know it's a TV show but I have to put it on here)
    4. My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (Another TV show, and MLP, I know, don't judge me, it's a great show :))
    5. Red Cliff (I really enjoy Chinese movies)
    6. Star Trek into Darkness
    7. Kung Fu Panda 2
    8. Frozen and Tangled (They should go together, because I can't pick just one)
    9. Marvel Movies (How could I possibly pick just one???)
    10. Beauty and the Beast (Are you planning on entering the Rooglewoodpress Five Enchanted Roses contest?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen would have made it into my top twenty probably, but for this week I chose the movies I watch the most. (Plus there are already way too many animated films on my list already.) Love your list. I'm not really planning on entering the Five Enchanted Roses contest at this point. To busy with my own fairy tale rewrites. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Love this list! Hercules is probably one of my favorite Disney movies - or at least has the best Disney villain!

    ReplyDelete

/*popular post image sizing*/